Website Lakeland Mills Ltd
A step in the right direction!
We have an exciting opportunity for an Operation Superintendent at Lakeland Mills in Prince George, BC!
Sinclar Group Forest Products Ltd. is an integrated wood products manufacturing company with operations throughout north-central British Columbia. Since 1962 the dedicated team at Sinclar Group has been building strong and stable businesses by encouraging leadership and innovation in our workforce, upholding the family values that framed our beginnings, and respecting the needs of the communities in which we all live and work.
Working with integrity is fundamental to the Sinclar Group of Companies. The health and safety of our employees, our commitment to responsible environmental stewardship, ethical dealings with our business partners, and contributing to the economic and social fabric of the communities in which we operate define the essence of who we are.
Lakeland Mills, a division of Sinclar Group Forest Products since 1973, has developed a global reputation for producing premium quality stud lumber. When you see the distinctive Lakeland “blue,” you know you’re working with the best.
While our focus is meeting the needs of our customers, our success is driven by our people.
The Opportunity → Operations Superintendent
Reporting to the Plant Manager, the Green side Superintendent is a key member of the senior management team in the operation. The Operations Superintendent understands the business dynamics of both the production and maintenance departments. They are responsible for the green side of the operations including the Sawmill, Maintenance, Log Yard, and Mobile Shop. The Operations Superintendent must have a strong combination of technical knowledge, business acumen, visionary leadership, and work closely with operational management, supervisors and employees to ensure a high level of safety, operational, financial, and quality performance.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes production and quality control standards, meets annual KPI’s with excellent safety performance
- Provides regular updates to review progress, emerging issues, cost performance, and projected outlook on production
- Reviews and analyses production, quality control, maintenance and operational reports to the specific product specifications and identifies any problems
- Coordinates the operation of the log yard and mobile shop to meet the requirements of the sawmill
- Works closely with operations and maintenance team to collaboratively identify and implement operational functionality
- Works as an influencer, looks to the future to apply best practices, create new ones, adopt new approaches, and make improvements to the process
- Works within the department budget, ensures effective cost controls are in place, focuses on opportunities to improve efficiencies and reduce costs
- Ensures and maintains an established service focus with employees, coaches and mentors the team, effectively maintains positive relationships with key strategic external and internal stakeholders
- Builds a high performing team focusing on collaboration, innovation, and a solutions oriented approach
- Builds trusting relationships, promotes ethical practices, models respect in the workplace
- Creates a work environment and culture that supports and encourages open dialogue and continuous improvement
- Leads through the core values of honesty, integrity, fairness, respect, open communication and teamwork
- Identifies training opportunities for the success of the team and ongoing support of the business
- Ensures compliance with all standards and programs (safety, environmental, quality, maintenance and policies and procedures)
- Understands the collective agreement and works collaboratively with the union
- Keep informed of changes and trends in the industry
Qualifications and Education
- Proven commitment to safety management and an agile leader
- 10 years of experience in the lumber manufacturing industry
- 5 years’ progressive experience in a supervisory role
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and/or experience
- Exceptional leadership qualities, including solid interpersonal skills, self-awareness and the ability to build and foster relationships with stakeholders
- Ability to connect the dots and see the big picture
- Ability to set clear expectations and hold people accountable
- Extensive knowledge of provincial and federal legislation
- Proactive ability to problem solve, analyze facts and data, and develop and implement solutions
- Proven ability to prioritize work and manage multiple simultaneous projects
- A lumber grading ticket is an asset
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Avanti and NAV is an asset
Deemed “BC’s northern capital,” Prince George is a lively city of 80,000 people situated in the heart of British Columbia. With early roots as a forest industry town, Prince George’s economy has diversified substantially over the years. Today it is a major center for resource and transportation activity and a service center for communities across the north. It has a thriving economy that offers full opportunities for recreation, housing, employment, education, dining, entertainment and culture.
Want to know more? Take a virtual tour of Prince George here!
Join Our Team!
If you are interested in joining an organization that is committed to sustainable growth and innovation while supporting healthy and vibrant communities, please submit your resume to: email@example.com and remember to quote “Operations Superintendent” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The initial review of applications will begin immediately.
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org